The CEI Group, Inc. (CEI) has added an online fleet driver safety lesson to its DriverCare accident prevention application, the company has announced.
The goal of the module, "Rearview Defensive Driving," is to help fleet drivers avoid rear-end and lane-change collisions, which remain among the most common kinds of traffic accidents.
The five-minute module comes with a five-question test, and covers the following topics:
- How to adjust your mirrors to eliminate blind spots.
- The benefit of attaching a small convex mirror to the driver's side mirror.
- The importance of looking and listening for passing traffic or pedestrians when backing up, even if your vehicle has a rear-looking camera.
- Keeping an eye out for inattentive or distracted drivers' vehicles coming from the rear when stopped at an intersection.
- Look for an escape route at intersections to avoid a collision from the rear.
- Maintain a 2-second safety advantage by scanning all your mirrors and side windows all the time.
The lesson concludes with the advice, "Rearview mirrors, appropriate head movement, and active visual scanning of the road environment. Use them all to your maximum advantage as defensive driving techniques to reduce the likelihood of side and rear collisions. The life you save may be your own!"
Originally posted on Automotive Fleet