Declared a "game-changer" for the work truck market, the new International TerraStar Class 4-5 commercial truck is designed to meet the needs of truck fleets seeking a powerful and reliable medium-duty model that complies with stricter emissions regulations, according to Navistar.
Unveiled in March at the annual National Truck Equipment Association (NTEA) Work Truck Show, the TerraStar comes with a wide range of features for increased performance, maneuverability, comfort, and durability over other models in its class.
Setting a New Standard
Entering production this fall in Garland, Texas, Navistar has high expectations for the TerraStar, which will join the existing International brand lineup, comprised of models such as the CityStar and DuraStar.
At the NTEA show in St. Louis, Navistar North American Truck Group President Jack Allen labeled the TerraStar as "one of the most capable, most versatile, and most drivable trucks in its class," with a commercial-duty design expected to "change the game in the work truck market."
Initially available with a 4x2 drivetrain, and a 4x4 drivetrain planned for 2011, the TerraStar is powered by an all-new MaxxForce 7 V-8 engine and boasts a wide range of qualities suited for fleets.
- Enhanced performance. At the heart of the new International TerraStar is its all-new 300 hp, 6.4L MaxxForce 7 V-8 engine, delivering 660 lb.-ft. of torque. The engine features a compacted graphite iron (CGI) block, which offers high strength without added weight. The MaxxForce will be matched with a commercial-duty Allison 1000 transmission to optimize power output, according to International.
- Green technology. The TerraStar features MaxxForce Advanced EGR emissions technology, eliminating the need for liquid urea and aftertreatment equipment and helping maintain vehicle resale value.
- Greater visibility. Best-in-class visibility is provided, at 28-percent more visibility than the market leader, according to International.
- Better maneuverability. The 107-inch bumper to back-of-cab (BBC) and 44-foot curb-to-curb turning radius allow optimal maneuverability in tight work environments.
- Roomy interior. According to International, the truck cab supplies 30-percent more cab interior space than the market leader, offering enough room in the front seat to comfortably accommodate three adults. The TerraStar will also be offered in optional Extended Cab or Crew Cab configurations, according to International.
- Engine accessibility. A commercial-style tilt-away hood offers unobstructed access to the engine compartment, allowing quick and easy routine and scheduled maintenance.
- Convenience and safety. The TerraStar features the International Diamond Logic electrical system, which helps deliver a number of customizable features for added convenience and safety. These include automated pre-trip inspections, headlight activation with windshield wipers, interlocks, and programmable switches. Additional features vary based on application.
Originally posted on Work Truck Online